Monday 28 January 2013

Let It Be Known ....


On Jan 24th 2013, on his “Atheism is a Religion” blog, Chad Elliott posted:-
"As illustrated above, for anything you disbelieve in, you must also believe that that thing does not exist. There is no possible example that an atheist, or anyone else for that matter, can present, which would provide evidence to the contrary. Why? Because it's a logically impossible task. If you disbelieve something exists, then you believe that that something does not exist. In other words. If you disbelieve (A) exists, then you believe (A) does not exist. This is basic logic and proves once and for all that atheism is in fact a belief system. It's the belief that a God does not exist.

I will take this entire post down if someone can provide me an example to the contrary."

To which, on Jan 27th 2013, I responded:
“… do you believe that I am wearing a yellow shirt? To put the question more technically, do you believe the proposition "Peter is wearing a yellow shirt at this moment" is true? It's a simple question where the meanings of all the terms are relatively straightforward, so there shouldn't be any issue with comprehension. There are lots of people wearing yellow shirts every day, so there is no issue with logical or physical impossibility.

However, you really have no way of knowing what I am wearing right now. I might not even be wearing a shirt, never mind a yellow one. There's just no reasonable basis for you to believe that I am wearing a yellow shirt. You can believe that it's possible that I'm wearing a yellow shirt, and you might reasonably believe that I sometimes wear a yellow shirt, but you shouldn't believe that I am wearing one right now. You also know that I dislike the colour yellow.

By the same token, though, you also shouldn't believe that the proposition "Peter is wearing a yellow shirt" is false. Your ignorance of what I am wearing should prevent you from denying this proposition the same way it prevents you from affirming it. As you can see, not believing that this proposition is true isn't the same as believing the proposition is not true: not affirming that I am wearing a yellow shirt doesn't entail denying that I am wearing a yellow shirt. (adapted from Austin Cline)

As I have now provided you with a logical example of how a lack of belief in something does not entail a positive belief in its antithesis – in other words, proof that disbelief in the existence of God is NOT the same a believing God does not exist – I assume you will honour your pledge – “I will take this entire post down if someone can provide me an example to the contrary” – and take down this page…”

I gave him 24 hours to remove the post; he hasn't.

So – this is the notification (Official) that Chad Elliott has been totally and completely owned by me and doesn't have the guts to admit it.

No comments:

Post a Comment